Travel destinations

Thursday 12 January 2017

What to do in: London



London has so many amazing things to do. My hometown is one of those places that has no redeeming features aside from 'oh but you can get to London in half an hour' so I've always been one for frequent visits. Here are some of my recommendations of things to do:



Go see a play




There are so many theatres in London and they really have something for everyone. Wicked, Book of Mormon & Les Miserables have certainly been my favourite to see but they also come with a hefty price tag. Two plays I've seen which have been absolutely amazing and as a result I've returned to see them again and again is Woman in Black & Mousetrap. They are much more affordable and have fantastic storylines that are sure to impress. Mousetrap has been running continuously in London since 1952 so you're watching a bit of history. It's also worth looking at the smaller theatres, further afield, and seeing what they are putting on. We recently saw a great play at the Southwark Playhouse, thanks to the tube there's hardly anywhere in London that isn't accessible.

Go to an independent cinema


I adore independent cinemas because they have such character and you've got a chance to watch something a bit different. We recently went to the Hackney picturehouse for the London Short Film festival and it was much more interesting than our normal cinema visit. More centrally located is the Price Charles Cinema, which have the best events. They have sing-a-longs, movie marathons and a bi-monthly film quiz that I've been too a few times and has been really fun.

Check out Greenwich







I have a close friend that lives in Greenwich and it's given me ample opportunity to experience this wonderful part of London. Greenwich has a lot to offer and in the summer Greenwich Park is a really lovely place to stroll. Within the park sits the planetarium where you can watch a show for £7.50 (adults). Its a pretty amazing experience. Taking a visit to the Old Royal Navel College is absolutely wonderful AND totally free! For those who are interested you can also visit the National Maritime museum & The Cutty sark. I like how you can take a stroll along the riverside and forget you're in London at all.

Go to a museum or a gallery






London has such a host of amazing museums and I'm sure wherever your interest lies there will be a museum for you. Most of the times I schedule a trip to London it's because there is an exhibition I want to go see. The science museum is absolutely jam packed and great if you have kids. It's really interactive though and super fun! We recently visited the Wellcome Collection, a museum right near Euston Station, that has exhibitions on medicine and nature and we really enjoyed it. Both the Museum of London & The Museum of London at the Docklands have some really great informative exhibitions on and the Docklands museum is in such a perfect position, right on the quays.

The V&A is the perfect destination for anyone remotely interested in fashion and the British museum is a real must visit, with an eclectic collection of items from all over the world. Adam is a particular fan of the Natural History Museum and I'm inclined to agree, I think its one of the best museums in the world. The Imperial War museum is a fantastic viewing, with a dramatic atrium full of displays, including a Spitfire plane. The best things about all these things...they're free! Not a museum I know but make sure you visit the British Library, such a wonderful place and full of so many interesting things. They have exhibitions on and of course one hell of a book shop!

I admit I'm personally more drawn to a museum than a gallery but Adam first introduced me to the Tate Modern and I thought it was absolutely amazing so I would totally recommend a visit, even if you don't consider yourself the arty type. I also like the National Portrait Gallery, which really have some remarkable portraits.

Go test yourself



One of my favourite London experiences was climbing the O2. 'Up at the O2' is a really amazing experience. It's not physically challenging but any effort exerted is totally rewarded by the wonderful views you get once you're up there. I can only imagine how perfect it would be to watch the sun set from up there, total bucket list item!

Go to a gig 


Finding some evening entertainment in London is not difficult and there are music gigs all over the city every night. My favourite venues to see music are The Roundhouse, a fantastic venue in a former railway engine shed, and Alexandra Palace, an absolutely stunning venue which was first built in the 19th century.

Find some street art




One of my favourite activities in any city is to stroll around and view some of the street art and London has some great stuff, especially around Camden and Shoreditch. It helps if the sun is shining!

So there you go, a few of my recommendations. Nothing out of the blue there I know but sometimes the tourists are attracted to these places for a reason, they're so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment